- A teacher must make Zoom accessible in the Course Menu
See “How can I tidy up the Course Menu on the left-hand side?”
- Go to “Dashboard” in the Global Menu on the far left
- Click on the three dots on the top right
- Select “Card View”
- Go to “Settings”, select the “Apps” tab, and search for “Redirect Tool”
- “+ Add App”, enter a URL (website address) to a page you want to see in the Course Menu, for example a page in your Canvas course
- Select "Show in Course Navigation", og deselect "Force open in new tab"
- Replace “Redirect Tool” with the name you choose
- Click on “Add App”
- Upload the course again (click on the course name in the string at the top of the screen), and the selected web page will appear in the Course Menu (on the left).
- NOTE that some web pages (e.g. nrk.no) do not grant permission to be added using Redirect Tool.
- To edit, for example a URL, go to Settings > Apps and click on “View App Configurations”. Find the App (Redirect Tool, or whatever you may have called it), and select “Edit”
- Canvas uses many apps that can be integrated into Canvas courses (an overview is obtainable under the “Apps” tab in “Settings”)
- A teacher must contact the supplier of each app for any information needed to start using the tool.
- There is often a charge for using an app, something that the individual course, institute or faculty must pay.
- In the case of tools that many USN users need, it may be appropriate for eDU to acquire it for the whole university.
- NB: In the prevailing GDPR climate (following the Schrems II judgement in the summer of 2020, and before clarification has emerged) everybody needs to be very careful when installing new apps that may share personal data from Canvas with suppliers or third-party suppliers.
A separate menu for the teacher is displayed when “Home” is selected in the Course Menu.
Screenshot of the Canvas Home Menu
Click on the image to enlarge it
- Course status: Here you can decide whether to publish or unpublish the course.
- Import Existing Content: Shortcut for copying a Canvas course (New semester, build a course in Canvas, copy from another course or previous semester), or upload a file with Canvas content (link?). You can also do all this in “Settings”.
- Import from “Commons”: In “Commons” you can search for teaching content and import it directly into your courses. NB: Take care not to import content to all your courses. This is a common error.
- Choose Home page: Here you can choose what the Home page of the course shall be. It may be a page (which you must first set as the front page), Course Overview, Assignment Overview or Module Overview.
- View Course Stream: Less important
- Course setup checklist: Less important
- New Announcement: Shortcut for writing a new Announcement for the course.
- View Course Analytics: Less important
- View Course Notifications: Here you can create your own notifications for the course, which override your notification settings at Account level.